Engineering | DC Metro
Looking for your next great adventure? mHelpDesk, an operating business of HomeAdvisor/IAC is a rapidly growing startup based in Fairfax, VA, and we are looking for you!
mHelpDesk is changing the way home service providers manage their business. We build products that solve real problems and focus on the experience of the end user. We’re looking for a highly motivated, energetic, flexible, organized, and detail oriented DBA to participate in supporting our production, dev, and QA environments.
Life at mHelpDesk
mHelpDesk is not your average startup. We are a fast growing company that was recently acquired by a major internet brand. This is a great opportunity for you to get involved at an early stage. Think of us as a startup without all the risks of working for a startup. That means no late (or missed) paychecks, no need to find your own expensive health insurance plan, no working for a tiny fraction of your market value. It also means no corporate atmosphere with strict dress code or stuffy bureaucracy to drown out your ideas.
We value every team member and if we hire you, it’s because we think you can do big things with us.
You can learn more about our work environment and product here: http://facebook.com/mhelpdesk
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
– Design and execute Microsoft SQL Server deployments to increase performance using stored procedures
– Review existing Microsoft SQL Server deployments for potential improvements in availability and resiliency
– Monitor existing Microsoft SQL Server databases to identify SQL consuming large amounts of resource and give development teams guidance and oversight in remediating issues
– Work with development teams to tune poor performing SQL
– Experience in holistic DBMS/Windows performance monitoring, measurement, reporting and tuning
– Provide support for system troubleshooting of developed/installed/tested applications
– Provide Production Operations Support, which includes assisting in 24×7 support with rotating on-call schedule
– Excellent troubleshooting/problem solving and communication skills
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS POSITION:
– Experience with Microsoft SQL replication and mirroring
– Ability to spin-up Windows Server and Microsoft SQL Server instance from scratch
– Demonstrable experience performing as the lead on upgrading a production Microsoft SQL Server system from one major revision to another
– At least 2 years professional experience designing, developing, and maintaining databases
EXPERIENCE TO BE SUCCESFUL:
– Good judgment and troubleshooting skills when dealing with production-impacting changes and problems.
– Demonstrable, deep experience of at least 2 years with Amazon Web Services in a 7×24 production environment.
– Experience managing systems supporting Microsoft SQL Server databases.
– Disciplined approach to maintenance and upgrades – you need to be able to accurately document and flawlessly execute any and all proposed changes.
– Good written and verbal communication, particularly of technical subjects, including good listening skills.
– Awareness of when you’re in over your head and need to call in the cavalry, and a cool head when things don’t go as planned.
– Ability to take ownership of both the good and bad things you do.
– The ability to follow written and verbal directions and procedures to the letter.
– The wisdom to know when the above needs to be thrown out the window.
Characteristics of the work environment that you might be interested in:
– We operate in a fast-paced, start-up like manner.
– Your colleagues are a mix of seasoned pros and fired-up rookies
– Casual dress code
– Direct collaboration between you, system administration, development teams, reporting teams and business stakeholders is strongly encouraged.
– Wide variety of opportunities for growth … either within the DBA role or in other areas of systems administration or development.
mHelpDesk is a leading provider of web-based service management software that is revolutionizing how companies manage their customers and service tickets. We’ve grown our customer base to 6,000+ companies over three years by offering superlative support and a hassle-free sales experience from a smart and dedicated team of support specialists who also guide customer trials through the conversion process. mHelpDesk was rated 5 Stars in Capterra, and has been featured on CBS Money Watch
, Tech Crunch
, Washington Business Journal
, and The Boston Globe
. Learn more at www.mHelpDesk.com
You will be joining a bright group of experienced folks who love what they are doing to create a unique experience for our customers. Individuals seeking employment at mHelpDesk are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “mHelpDesk Careers: Database Developer”.
Last Updated By: Rochelle Sanchirico
Workflow Management Solutions