1. Create Refund item
- Go to Settings > Drop-down lists > Products & Services
- Create an item called “Refund” and set type to “Discount”. Leave the amount to 0. It should look like this:
2. Apply the refund to an invoice
- Go to the invoice that you want to apply the refund to
- Add the item Refund to your invoice items.
- Enter the negative dollar amount you are refunding (for example -100)
- Save the invoice.
3. Adjust the payment.
- If you are doing a full refund you can delete the payment. Alternatively, you can simply update the payment amount to $0 in mHelpDesk and use the memo field for your audit trail. Then do the same for the Payment item in Quickbooks.
- If you are applying a partial refund:
- If you already exported this item to QuickBooks, you will need to manually make the adjustments in Quickbooks for both the Invoice and Payment. Simply make the identical updates to both sets of records.
- When you first export the Refund item to Quickbooks, you will be prompted to choose an appropriate Chart of Accounts for your refunds. If you are not sure which to choose, ask your accountant.