Setting the stageTo understand how this works, I’m going to use our company as an example. In the last 90 days, we’ve purchased roughly 14 ads. To keep things simple, let’s say the ads costed us $100 dollars each. For us, it’s important to know if the $100 bucks was well spent. Anytime a customer signs-up with mHelpdesk, we record which ad brought them to us. In your case, you could simply ask your customer “How did you hear about us?” To record this info, use the Ad campaign field on the Customer Form. In the above screenshot, this customer found us by clicking on a Google Text Ad for “Computer Repair Software”. So, as long as we are keeping track of how customers find us by using the Ad campaign field, we’ll be able to make some educated decisions about our marketing.
Crunching the numbersThe Ad campaign field by itself doesn’t say much. But mHelpdesk helps us create a report showing which ads brought in the most customers. More importantly, it shows us which ads bring in the least customers. To create an Ad performance report, we’ll do the following:
- Navigate to Jobs > Job Reports (note, the word Job may be different if you changed your label)
- Click on the report named Ad Performance
- Select the time frame that you want to measure.
- I also like using the Pie Chart vs the Bar Chart. The legend is easier to read.
- Click the Generate Report button
Making sense of it allBelow is our Ad performance for the last 90 days. We can see our best performing ads in green. We can also see our worst performing ads in red. Again, for simplicity we are going to say that each ad costs $100. Based on the report we can see that:
- It costs us about $.76 cents to acquire each new lead with our four best performing ads.
- It costs us $8.33 dollars to acquire each new lead with our four worst performing ads.
- Our four worst ads costs us over 800% more to acquire a new lead
- We should discontinue our four worst ads.
- We should invest the $400 from the four worst ads into the four best ads.
- Based on the last bullet point we should see even more new leads!